CNC router preventative maintenance is one of the most overlooked ways to keep CNC routers online and productive. Using this CNC router maintenance guide in your factory can reduce the overall cost of machine ownership. Preventative maintenance will ensure maximum return on CNC routers, while keeping the headaches down and production quality up.
CNC Preventative Maintentance Checklist
Our service technicians created a recommended CNC router preventative maintenance checklist to keep CNC machines at your factory running smoothly. Scheduled CNC router maintenance can help avoid costly downtime, so don’t skip on these important steps.
- Clean all debris off machine (blow off with pressurized air after every part)
- Inspect the following:
- Tool holders for cleanliness **
- Internal taper of spindle motor**
- Check pneumatic oil level in regulator*
- Empty water in regulator or separator
- Inspect blower pre-filter and main filter, then clean as required
- Grease all leadscrews and linear guides***
- Upload all machine data via RS232 or Ethernet (machine parameters and program files)
- Copy machine data onto CD or USB drive, then store in a safe location
- Inspect all of the following:
- Pneumatic connections – listen for leaks and inspect enclosures for excess oil*
- Electrical enclosures – check for cleanliness (power to machine should be off)
- Belt and pulley assemblies – check for tightness and belt integrity
- Clean, then grease fourth and fifth axis gear assemblies***
- Deep clean all lead screw and ball nut assemblies by flushing ball nuts with WD40
- Clean dry assemblies, then perform error calibration on all axes
- Inspect the following:
- All wiring connections in machine enclosures
- Brushes in DC brush servo motors
CNC machines with HSD motors should not have oil in their regulators. For these machines, apply pneumatic oil directly to the cylinder shafts. Machines require 10-weight pneumatic oil for lubrication of cylinders, pneumatic drills, and mechanical moving components within Colombo type spindle motors.
** Tool holders and spindle motor shafts can be cleaned using rust inhibitor solvents.
***Recommended Grease: Lithium based multi-purpose grease.
- Follow individual company safety procedures.
- Only use power for the maintenance steps which require machine operation.
- When using pressurized air to clean electronic components, ensure there is no moisture present.
CNC Router Routine Maintenance
In addition to the list above, our routine router maintenance services should be considered for all CNC machines in production. We can come to your factory yearly or more frequently depending on your level of production.
Contact CNC Services, Inc.
To request a quote for our CNC router services, call us at (858) 922-4967 or send us a message using the form below.